Re: Load balance over multiple bgp feeds

  • From: Will Yardley
  • Date: Thu Apr 21 20:19:58 2005

On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 05:06:27PM -0700, Will Yardley wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 06:47:36PM -0500, Mike Hyde wrote:

[ Sorry for the self-followup. ]

> > I was wondering what everyone does to load balance over multiple
> > bgp feeds. We currently have 5 bgp feeds with 2 providers. Do you
> > just randomly pick networks, or use something like netflow to try
> > and pick the best path.

> A lot of it depends on what you're trying to balance for (cost?
> performance?), the size of each link, the type of traffic you're
> dealing with, and other factors.

Also, my experience has been in fairly content-heavy networks. Shaping
inbound traffic can be a little more difficult (lots of information on
this online). If your provider supports communities, they may allow
you to prepend selectively to certain ASes or in certain geographical
locations -- and of course you can play around with prepending.

> I've generally been able to get surprisingly accurate results in
> terms of how much traffic to send out one link or another just by
> using route-maps and some simple netflow analysis, plus traceroute /
> ping.

Probably obvious, but if your providers support communities, this can be
extremely helpful... you can often use these to do some slightly less
kludgy traffic-shaping - "prioritize traffic learned from provider X's
customers, but not from their peers", or "prioritize provider X's peers
in our city, but de-prioritize their peers in the Bay area". In addition
to internal documentation, many providers put information on the
communities they support in the routing-registry entry for their AS.