Re: Slashdot: Providers Ignoring DNS TTL?

  • From: Dean Anderson
  • Date: Wed Apr 20 15:33:25 2005

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

> And I can show that if you give a pig wings....

I suppose IF a pig had wings, indeed, it *would* fly. But pigs aren't
growing winglets.

However, there are two relevant facts here:
 	1) People are starting to deploy PPLB.
	2) People are starting to use TCP DNS

> Look, it breaks in certain situations.  But anycast implementations
> of TCP apps have worked "well" for a decade now.  Deal with the fact
> that not only do people use it, but users don't notice it.
>
> Or don't.  No one here cares if you do.  Reality trumps lab tests.

"Reality" for the last ten years has been that no one did either PPLB or
TCP DNS. That reality is changing. It'll probably start to change faster,
sooner. Then, users will start to notice the problems.

> > But caching servers are usually setup to load balance. Usually, the
> > servers with the same IP address share an ethernet along with multiple
> > routers.  So the packets are switched on essentially a per-packet
> > basis. Or possibly a per-arp basis that alters the
> > MAC-based-forwarding behavior of a switch.  This is fairly fine
> > grained load balancing.
>
> This is complete news to me.  Of course, I do not run most of the
> caching name servers on the Internet, so what do I know.  Do you?
>
> Would anyone who runs an anycast recursive name server care to supply
> data points to support or refute Mr. Anderson's assertion?
>
> Mr. Anderson, do you have any data points to support your assertion?

Discussion of this very question on DNSOP.  I refer you to the DNSOP
archives. (I keep my own archives, but you can find them through the IETF
pages at www.ietf.org). If you really can't find the relevant discussion,
I'll be happy to forward a slew of selected messages to you.

617 344 9000