Re: Slashdot: Providers Ignoring DNS TTL?

  • From: sthaug
  • Date: Wed Apr 20 14:52:16 2005

> > But caching servers are usually setup to load balance. Usually, the
> > servers with the same IP address share an ethernet along with multiple
> > routers.  So the packets are switched on essentially a per-packet
> > basis.
> > Or possibly a per-arp basis that alters the MAC-based-forwarding
> > behavior
> > of a switch.  This is fairly fine grained load balancing.
>
> This is complete news to me.  Of course, I do not run most of the
> caching name servers on the Internet, so what do I know.  Do you?
>
> Would anyone who runs an anycast recursive name server care to supply
> data points to support or refute Mr. Anderson's assertion?

Our recursive name service, using anycast servers, is setup with 3
name servers at 3 different physical locations, with each server
connected to a router at the same physical location. Each server
handles two different anycast addresses. There is no per-packet load
balancing involved.

I can't speak for the rest of the net, of course - but our recursive
anycast service has worked well for several years.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, [email protected]