Re: Slashdot: Providers Ignoring DNS TTL?

  • From: Chris Adams
  • Date: Wed Apr 20 14:24:24 2005

Once upon a time, Dean Anderson <[email protected]> said:
> If there are
> multiple anycasted caching servers behind a specific IP address, then
> those several cache's will each have a different state.  Since, [as I
> explained, and was supposed by the poster], there is "some kind of load
> balancing going on", and also since implementors of anycast caches have
> posted questions and explained their purposes [which could be seen as
> "load balancing"], this is a likely explanation.

Not really.  Normally, anycasting should be stable; if you send a
request to the same IP address you will get a response from the same
server.  There may be additional load balancing being done where at a
particular location that IP maps to multiple servers (we've done that
with TruCluster for example), but that has nothing to do with
anycasting.

--
Chris Adams <[email protected]>