Re: Service providers that NAT their whole network?

  • From: Tom Vest
  • Date: Tue Apr 19 23:20:06 2005

On Apr 19, 2005, at 10:57 PM, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

One possible reason would be that quite often the people there are not
very capable at bgp at all .. so someone who's selling them routers
gives them a static route to their upstream, then they give their
downstream customers a word doc with a template that assigns the
downstreams yet another static route ...
I think (or at least I hope) that folks that fit your description are identified by the registries and routed to the education track before their applications are approved. I am not (entirely) naive -- and am quite pleased to have the opportunity to contribute to ongoing education efforts through APRICOT -- so I am sure that some share of allocated-but-never-routed ASNs could be explained away as you suggest. That said, the cases I am obliquely referring to are established, fully clue-embued enterprises -- some even service providers -- with competent engineers on staff. I.e., operators that applied for, met the criteria, and received a public ASN plus IP allocation from an RIR.

TV