Re: Service providers that NAT their whole network?

  • From: Suresh Ramasubramanian
  • Date: Tue Apr 19 22:58:49 2005

On 4/20/05, Tom Vest <[email protected]> wrote:
> As in, sometimes national operators will decline to speak bgp to
> (topologically) subnational operators, so that even when they present
> themselves with a regionally allocated public ASN and address space,
> these will not be accepted. I am not at liberty to identify specific
> cases, but if you look at recent-ish (RIR-era) ASN allocations that
> have never appeared in the routing table, you will come across (n)
> networks that fit this description.

Ah, that.  Finding places with large incumbent telcos that want to
preserve their monopoly, and typically have the local telco regulator
in their pocket, is not hard at all .. this happens all the time there

One possible reason would be that quite often the people there are not
very capable at bgp at all .. so someone who's selling them routers
gives them a static route to their upstream, then they give their
downstream customers a word doc with a template that assigns the
downstreams yet another static route ...

Attempts at adding BGP and sometimes, MPLS, to those networks tend to
produce interesting looking results.  Especially funny example -
someone who was a "senior admin" at a certain large asian ISP decided
to ask Philip what a route map is, in a sanog tutorial on advanced BGP
last year.

> Another reason to approach with caution proposals to cede greater
> registry-like authority to national PTOs and regulatory authorities,
> IMHO.

Any such authority is guaranteed to be heavily abused to further
existing monopolies

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian ([email protected])