Re: Verizon Offering Naked DSL in Northeast...

  • From: Alex Rubenstein
  • Date: Tue Apr 19 09:08:49 2005

I personally still don't like the stability of SBC's PPPOE implementations and tunnels. I prefer Verizon's setup much more.
I am not sure what Verizon you are talking about, but the Verizon in my area (aka Bell Atlantic, aka New Jersey Bell) (at least used to) have, for some reason, have a cat 5000 in between us and the DSLAM. We see about 27 or so PVC's for the whole state. Verizon refers to these PVC's as PVC's to each 'switch.' Conjecture is that there is some insane type of LANE and god knows what going on. You run PPPOE over this, and in some limited cases, it's stable.

Sprint (aka United Telephone) in our area (northern NJ), IMHO, does things 'right', or at least best of all the players we've dealt with through the years. They provide a L2TP tunnel to you over an ATM-IP link, which the other end of is on a Redback SMS of sorts. You see all of your clients as PPPoEoL2TP. As hackery as it sounds, it works and is quite stable.

Yes, many LECs under your feet is interesting. Within 100 miles of our office, we have more than I can even think of (Verizon-NJ Bell, Verizon-NYNEX, Verizon-PA, Verizon-GTE, Sprint/United, Warwick Valley Telephone, SBC-SNET, Citizens-Frontier, RCI-Frontier.

--
Alex Rubenstein, AR97, K2AHR, [email protected], latency, Al Reuben
Net Access Corporation, 800-NET-ME-36, http://www.nac.net