Re: Jonathan Yarden @ TechRepublic: Disable DNS caching on workstations

  • From: Rachael Treu Gomes
  • Date: Mon Apr 18 15:28:34 2005

On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 03:05:55PM -0400, Jason Frisvold said something to the effect of:

> On 4/18/05, Daniel Golding <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> > Aside from individual OS behavior, doesn't this seem like very bad advice?
>
> I think this is more of a question of who to trust.  Caching, in
> general, isn't a bad thing provided that TTL's are adhered to.  If the
> poisoning attack were to inject a huge TTL value, then that would
> compromise that cache.  (Note, I am no expert on dns poisoning, so I'm
> not sure if the TTL is "attackable")
>
> However, on the flip side, if nothing is ever cached, then I would
> expect a huge amount of bandwidth to be eaten up by DNS queries.

You are right.  Time spent in security for an ISP yielded many
DoS-against-the-DNS-server complaints that turned out to be
some query-happy non-cachers pounding away at the server.  The
solution: block the querying IP from touching the DNS server.
Somehow, I think that might have hampered their name resolution
efforts...?  ;)

cache me if you can,
--ra

--
rachael treu gomes                            [email protected]
               ..quis custodiet ipsos custodes?..