Re: Memory leak cause of Comcast DNS problems

  • From: David Conrad
  • Date: Mon Apr 18 02:15:37 2005

Hi,

On Apr 17, 2005, at 8:20 PM, Eric A. Hall wrote:
| The maximum amount of memory to use for the server's cache, in
| bytes. [...] The default is unlimited, meaning that records are
| purged from the cache only when their TTLs expire.
That was my first guess too.

Most DNS servers don't even have this switch.
Actually, I suspect most servers now do, at least in the context of Internet service provision. I believe BINDv9 + dnscache + CNS (don't know about maradns, powerdns, or posadis but I believe their relative percentage isn't significant) outnumber BINDv4 and BINDv8. Don't know if Microsoft DNS allows you to limit memory consumption, but I don't think it is used in an ISP context that frequently (although I might be wrong).

Rgds,
-drc