RE: cost of doing business (was:Re: OpenTransit (france telecom) depeers cogent)

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Sun Apr 17 15:28:42 2005

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005, Malayter, Christopher wrote:

I think you're very wrong here. For packet delivery of video based services, I could see a home using 100mb/s between voice, video, and data within the next 12-24 months. All of the product roadmaps I've been looking at contain "How to get 100mb/s to the home", "How do we push BRAS/Multicast deployment closer to the edge", "What is the roadmap for converged services past triple play?"
Really? 100 megabit/s would be six simultanious HDTV feeds (mpeg2)... I don't see any other content that is constant high bandwidth? And in my calculations I used 5 meg as the average, meaning that your 100 meg would mean that peak bw usage should be much higher to compensate for anyone who just happens not to look at 6 TV channels at the time?

The question is also about converged networks, what do we converge past data, video and voice?

100 meg to the home is no problem as long as each user is only using a few hundred kilobit/s (which seem to be the norm around the world right now on these networks), it's when each user is using much more than that we run into scalability problems (and monetary problems).

--
Mikael Abrahamsson email: [email protected]