Re: OpenTransit (france telecom) depeers cogent

  • From: Fredy Kuenzler
  • Date: Sat Apr 16 12:37:35 2005

Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
I'm not sure about the US price war, I just can say that I've seen
an offer of AS174 in Switzerland which is 38% of the price of
AS1239  we currently pay (same CDR). I'm not sure if ths already
justifies  hell, but at least purgatory ;-)
Strange, I am REALLY HAPPY when someone offers me a comparable
product for less money.  If you prefer to pay more, well, I'm happy
for you.
Product is not comparable anymore, you'll miss ^174_5511_ ... just kidding.

Back on topic, I am unclear on why "you sell X for less than I do" is
justification for rotting in hell.  Whether X is below your cost is
COMPLETELY immaterial.  Whether it is below their cost is irrelevant
to me, but it might be important to some countries / laws /
whatever.  If they are breaking a law, have someone investigate &
charge them.
Not in the so called free markets like US or Switzerland, right?

The real horror comes when connecting comanies and enterprises away from
the main street. When local tail can only be provided by the incumbent.
How to make a good deal for the customer (IP feed + local tail) when the
IP Transit price is probably less than 2% of the actual costs?

I'd be quite pleased with AS174's price dumping policy, at least it helps to beat down the price of other suppliers and makes us more competitive.

F.