Re: Anyone familiar with the SBC product lingo?

  • From: Bill Stewart
  • Date: Thu Apr 14 20:38:46 2005

On 4/14/05, Dan Lockwood <[email protected]> wrote:
> We have 4 DS3s and an OC3 which SBC provides to us via a Nortel mux that
> they placed on our premise.  The OC3 we have now is hooked up to their
> ATM network to connect up some other high speed sites.  On the actual
> bill for that OC3 it shows a charge for $2200, no more, no less.  The
> service described is "SONET Circuit Service OC3" which I find very
> puzzling since we don't interface with SBC using SONET.

US terminology tends to be sloppy about using terms like "OC3" when the
more precise description is "an STS3c data path on an OC3 hardware interface".
You've probably got an OC12 SONET ring out the back of the mux with an
STS3c data path for your "OC3" and a few STS1 data paths carrying your DS3s.
(It might just be a straight-line instead of a ring, though.)
On the front of the mux, you've probably got copper coax jacks for the DS3s, and
you've *probably* got a fiber running OC3 SONET to your ATM router or
whatever "OC3" device you're using, though it could actually be
something silly with copper
or (even less likely) SDH instead of SONET.

So what they probably mean is that you're paying for an STS3c access circuit
over some kind of SONET-based access, and you're also paying for an ATM service
that uses that STS3c circuit to get to your router, and you're also
paying for some PVCs.

----
             Thanks;     Bill

Note that this isn't my regular email account - It's still experimental so far.
And Google probably logs and indexes everything you send it.