Re: OpenTransit (france telecom) depeers cogent

  • From: Daniel Roesen
  • Date: Thu Apr 14 18:37:30 2005

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 05:29:46PM -0400, Patrick W Gilmore wrote:
> Is Cogent filtering the prefixes they get from Verio?  Or is Verio
> filtering what they send to Cogent?  Does it matter?

Or OT tagging their announcements to Sprint in a way that prevents them
being announced to Cogent in order to force Cogent into buying transit.

> I think you have a very good point - FT is buying full transit.  Cogent
> is the one without full reachability.

Indeed. That's the inherent danger of "playing tier 1".

I myself find being tier 2 much more comfortable. :-) I'm not sure
wether the effort to become (and maintain!) tier 1 status (and I'm
talking of the technical term == transit free) is economically a good
idea (anymore).

> Doesn't mean that FT didn't know this would be a problem when they took
> the step, though.

I wonder how much non-BGP-transit traffic is on Cogent (static
customers, colocation). My guess is that it's quite low and one might
say "well, BGP routes around the problem". People do have multiple
upstreams (often seen in the setup "primary Cogent because of price, and
1-2 others secondary for quality and resilience").

Best regards,
Daniel

--
CLUE-RIPE -- Jabber: [email protected] -- [email protected] -- PGP: 0xA85C8AA0