RE: Anyone familiar with the SBC product lingo?

  • From: Dan Lockwood
  • Date: Thu Apr 14 18:05:41 2005

Thanks all who replied.  Since we have an OC-3 currently I went down the
hall and pulled out the actual bill.  I was even more confused when I
looked at the bill.  The situation is as follows...

We have 4 DS3s and an OC3 which SBC provides to us via a Nortel mux that
they placed on our premise.  The OC3 we have now is hooked up to their
ATM network to connect up some other high speed sites.  On the actual
bill for that OC3 it shows a charge for $2200, no more, no less.  The
service described is "SONET Circuit Service OC3" which I find very
puzzling since we don't interface with SBC using SONET.  Someone
explained this weirdness as "you pay for the OC-3 that is provisioned
through their SONET infrastructure of which the premise mux is the last
stop".  OK fine.

So to continue with my current puzzlement, what types of USOCs should I
expect to be quoted when provisioning an OC3 for voice?  Basted on Matts
recommendation it would seem that I need a regular old OC3.
Additionally I would expect to see some misc tax and surcharge items;
probably some sort of E911 charge as well.  Anything else I am missing
or do I just tell them that I want the transport plugged into the PSTN
and give them the phone numbers that I want to ride on that circuit?

Thanks all,
Dan