Re: New Outage Hits Comcast Subscribers

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Thu Apr 14 16:28:07 2005

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 19:17:26 -0000, "Christopher L. Morrow" said:

> Perhaps it's not even appropriate for comcast's
> network/design/pop/hub/area/infrastructure... Don't get me, or I think
> Daniel, wrong, anycast is fun, but it's not for everyone. The main goal
> for comcast should be stability, regardless of how they implement that,
> eh?

No, they want to maximize the pricepoint/stability function (which has
multiple maxima/minima corresponding to various market niches).  They want
to pay as little as possible for sufficient stability to not torque off the
customer base into migrating to another provider.

In fact, I'd not even be surprised if the answer is different for different
market regions - the needed stability in areas they're a near-monopoly at
their price range is probably a lot lower than what they need in areas where
there's lots of competitors.

5 nines impresses everybody on this list.  4 nines will probably cover most
business customers. 3 nines for most consumers, and I bet you can make a living
selling 2 nines to Joe Sixpack for $9.95/mo....

But you can't make a living selling to the 2-nines crowd at the 2-nines price
with a 5-nines infrastructure (Anybody who can, drop me a note if you've got
a POP near me ;)