Re: OpenTransit (france telecom) depeers cogent

  • From: Patrick W Gilmore
  • Date: Thu Apr 14 16:14:46 2005

On Apr 14, 2005, at 3:47 PM, Alexander Koch wrote:

[..] If I was an FT customer and
I'd seen this signal I'd be phoning Cogent now for a quote.
I want my packets to make it to the destination. For some
Euros more I get real transit from real networks. See, all
the world is fine again. He who wants to save even more
money gets what he pays for.

I bet your viewpoint would maybe change if you had nearly
exclusively DSL traffic and hardly B2B- type traffic. I
could be wrong, of course.
You are wrong. I've heard the stories & rumors, but empirical evidence > "so-and-so said". We send more than enough bit over Cogent to both business and broadband users to be statistically significant, and the packets get there. "YMMV", but our _experience_ sending packets over AS174 is more than acceptable.

Do you have any real experience sending traffic over / through AS174?

To be clear, I could say the same about FT. Both run perfectly fine networks, and both give very decent pricing. This is not to say we have never had a problem - we've had problems with every network on the 'Net pretty much. But we were happy with both of them - until now.

And if they don't get their collective acts together, I am certain they will both lose a lot of customers.

--
TTFN,
patrick