Re: AUP for NANOG?

  • From: Steve Gibbard
  • Date: Thu Apr 14 15:25:10 2005

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005, Bill Nash wrote:

Some readers are tackling problems on a day to day basis that are old hat
for the seasoned NANOG denizens, and are bereft of the major benefit nanog
provides (conversation with peers) because some of those problems have
been argued to death and are now taboo. In most cases, the simple answer
is to read the faq[1] or search the archives. For relatively newer folks
though, sheer lack of experience will often cough up the caveat of not
knowing what to look for.

At the risk of triggering either a stupid argument or a landslide into
bureaucracy, might I suggest the formation of nanog-isp as a narrower
forum for non-backbone providers tackling operational and design issues
specific to edge networks? Having learned (and missed) fundamentals by
working completely on my own with various projects, I can safely say
there's no substitute for active peer review and conversation.
Speaking just for myself, I'd welcome discussion of operational and design issues specific to edge networks here, and newbie questions are useful as well. If those with experience don't share knowledge with those with less experience, we'll just have the same mistakes being made over and over again.

Most of what gets strongly objected to falls into the categories of either petty arguments, stuff that has nothing to do with network operations, or the extreme hostility that seems to be consistently generated by a few topics.

If people consistently asked three questions before they posted, "is it polite?", "does it have to do with network operations?", and "will this be interesting to some portion of the NANOG readership?", I think we'd be in fine shape.

-Steve