Re: AUP for NANOG?

  • From: Susan Harris
  • Date: Thu Apr 14 11:44:14 2005

> Do we have an Acceptable Usage Policy fot this NANOG mailing list?
>
> Of late this forum has become a forum for ad hominem rather than a
> friendly discussion of technical issues. While I may disagree with
> the opinions of others, I wouldn't resort to name calling or belittling.
>
> This reminds me of the way others behaved when I entered the field
> some 25 years ago. Some people were very helpful and friendly.
> Others responded very arrogantly with the tone of "how stupid you
> are for asking that question."
>
> If you're so smart, feel free to share your knowledge. It's unnecessary
> to belittle someone for asking a question or stating an opinion. The
> motivation behind this post is to serve as a reminder of the purpose of
> the NANOG forum. Let's return some decorum here.

Thanks for the comments, Matthew, and we do indeed have an AUP:

	http://www.nanog.org/aup.html

In the past the AUP was enforced too harshly (by me), and we've addressed
that problem by forming a new group of list-admins. Martin Hannigan is
our chair, and the other members are Chris Malayter, Steve Gibbard,
Sue Joiner (who has the joy of being the list-owner at Merit), and moi.
There's more info about us here:

	http://www.nanog.org/listadmins.html

We're still getting our act together about which "rules" to enforce, how
to coordinate group decisions about enforcement, etc.  Lately we've been
sending individual messages about OT threads, personal slams, etc., in an
effort to get the list back on track. Stay tuned.