Re: New Outage Hits Comcast Subscribers

  • From: Irwin Lazar
  • Date: Wed Apr 13 13:24:29 2005

During the first outage this week I used Bluetooth DUN via my Treo to
dial-up from home and check Comcast's customer support web page.  There was
a note on the "network health" page stating that Internet access was down
for all cable modem subscribers.

Uh no, it wasn't down - just their DNS was down (which I suppose to most is
the same as the Internet being down).  Of course, none of Comcast's
subscribers could actually get to that page unless they had an alternative
service or could manually modify their DNS settings to point elsewhere. (I'm
reminded of Less Nessmen's famous broadcast announcing that WKRP was off the
air).

Irwin