Re: Auerbach Accuses ICANN Board of Dereliction of Duty on IPAllocation

  • From: Gordon Cook
  • Date: Tue Apr 12 21:22:51 2005

"...and hilarity ensued. Not."

http://www.icannwatch.org/articles/05/04/11/132201.shtml

- ferg

Sigh. I am certainly not happy to see this and I must confess dismay that the subject rears its ugly head. My life has been better since i stopped paying attention to these people hoping that they would sink beneath the surface of the sea.

I looked at the Cave Bear blog and saw nothing there that offered any kind of concise clear picture of WHAT their proposed allocation policy was and why it was bad. Does someone have a good succinct write up? If so please send me a pointer off list and i will do my best to get the word out to the folk I reach.

But yeah if you control the IP numbers you have the net by the jugular. Vint Cerf sat at a table for 4 with IBM lobbyist Mike Nelson at dinner on march 30 at David Isenberg's F2C meeting and then got up and gave a very nice talk on P2P technology and extolled this as being the best and most existing stuff happening on the net these days and then THIS? whatever THIS is? And of course i don't know ANY specifics. But there is enough bum news rumbling around not to have to add this on top of everything else.

But again before one starts to yell - just what is it that they want to do and precisely why is it bad? Two thousand words max please - preferably 500 words. pointer please. Off list. One other question here - is there anything being talked about that could take ICANN in the direction of approving routing for critical transactions? I hope not.

On a different subject for those who have been playing with Skype have a look at http://cookreport.com/14.03.shtml and enjoy.