Re: Dear Linksys: Your broken WET54GS5 makes me sad.

  • From: Jared Mauch
  • Date: Tue Apr 12 10:30:45 2005

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 10:19:36AM -0400, Dean Anderson wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 [email protected] wrote:
>
> > Interestingly enough, the WRT54G is capable of gigE.
>
> Probably not at full speed, though. Its only an ARM
>
> > First, the firmware in the device is Linux and it can be upgraded and
> > changed by the owner in any way that they want. Many people have worked
> > on an enhanced and open version of the WRT54G firmware.
> > http://www.batbox.org/wrt54g-linux.html
> > http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/LinksysWrt54g
>
> You might also look at www.openwrt.org for sw.
>
> If you are willing to solder a surface mount chip in, you can have a
> serial console, too.

	the other (and better IMHO) solution is to just build your own
box.  You can't approach the Linksys cost, but you can
get good functionality.

	Get a Soekris (www.soekris.com) board, (of various types)
and install the cards you need, either PCMCIA, USB, mini-PCI, etc..

	You can then use your favourite x86 *nix distro and make
it work.  You'll need to get a Power supply and a CF card but
i'd imagine that once you get it set up it'll work more reliably
(and be upgradable) than the existing consumer device.

	There are others that make similar boards, so check
out your options, but it makes for a useful device..

	- jared