Re: Spam (un)blocking

  • From: Markus Stumpf
  • Date: Mon Apr 11 19:20:16 2005
  • Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 12:10:43AM +0200, JP Velders wrote:
> Over here in "RIPE land" so to speak, several ISP's (most notably
> FIRST members) have put a lot of effort in getting 'IRT' objects in
> the RipeDB.

Isn't it funny, how everyone always takes a "lot of efforts" reinventing
things that are there for years ...

RFC 1183 - New DNS RR Definitions (October 1990)

2. Responsible Person
   The purpose of this section is to provide a standard method for
   associating responsible person identification to any name in the DNS.

   The domain name system functions as a distributed database which
   contains many different form of information.  For a particular name
   or host, you can discover it's Internet address, mail forwarding
   information, hardware type and operating system among others.

   A key aspect of the DNS is that the tree-structured namespace can be
   divided into pieces, called zones, for purposes of distributing
   control and responsibility.  The responsible person for zone database
   purposes is named in the SOA RR for that zone.  This section
   describes an extension which allows different responsible persons to
   be specified for different names in a zone.

networks
    $ dig -x 195.30 rp
    30.195.in-addr.arpa.	IN RP  abuse.space.net. .

or even hostnames
    $ dig -x 195.30.0.8 rp
    8.0.30.195.in-addr.arpa.  IN RP  abuse.space.net. .

It's as easy as that.
(Or better would be ... if most of the software used for managing DNS space
wouldn't be broken, but would support RR types that are nearly 15 years old).

Yeah, I know about the urban legend about the revDNS zone being dead.
And the whois databases are broken, too, and have dangling referrals and
outdates or wrong information and no common agreed upon format. And I
often have to talk to some upstream provider to get information fixed
in the whois database I could change myself with existing revDNS delegation.

	\Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299