Re: djbdns: An alternative to BIND

  • From: Dean Anderson
  • Date: Mon Apr 11 17:34:47 2005

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> When Paul took over support of BIND at about 4.4, it was a horrid mess
> and rapidly moving toward death.

As long as we are getting history out, It was moving towards death as a
_result_ of Vixie involvment from 1987-1994. I knocked heads with Vixie
around 1989/91 several times about Hesiod root servers, bugs and such
issues. Vixie was a such a jerk back then that I just gave up on DNS
altogther for about 10 years, as did a lot of other people. That's what
caused it to languish so that by 1994, Vixie could "take it over".

But it was a mistake on to let it go to him.  DNS in general has
languished for 10 years, at least.  Look how long it took to get DNSSEC.
Compare DNSSEC to SSL, for example. Or HTTP.

Of course, on the other hand, if he wasn't such an butthead, we wouldn't
have the veritable bonanza of DNS implementations, today.  So, I suppose
unreasonable jerks are good overall, perhaps.

I was surprised to read that no BIND8 developers were allowed to touch
BIND9. I knew that Vixie wasn't involved, but I thought there was a more
specific reason for that.

		--Dean

617 344 9000