Re: SORBS Identity theft alert

  • From: Matthew Sullivan
  • Date: Mon Apr 11 10:42:43 2005

Dean Anderson wrote:

See http://www.iadl.org/sorbs/sorbs-story.html
SORBS seems to be collecting a lot of sensitive information to view
listings:

All pages on http://www.sorbs.net/ look on the menu for 'Privacy Policy' (unless you have chosen not to view that menu in the preferences).

Just in case you have a problem reading here's a hint: http://www.sorbs.net/w3c/privacy.shtml

One typo under 'Changes to the Policy' - the doc id is at the bottom not the top as stated, too small to warrant an update at this time of night.

This detailed information could be sold to IT recruiters, used for
identity theft, password collection, or used for other mass marketing
purposes.

It could be, but it isn't, and it won't be.

Security questions are often used by sensitive sites such as
domain registries to authenticate users who have lost their passwords.

Security question and answer box is for the user to choose a backup question and answer, don't tell me you didn't understand a simple concept as that?

This is very alarming information collection.

This is also way off topic, but I don't think that bothers you.