Re: The power of default configurations

  • From: just me
  • Date: Fri Apr 08 18:20:45 2005

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Eric A. Hall wrote:

  If folks were used to just adding forwarder entries to named.boot,
  yes, since they'd also have to remember to undelegate authority
  for the relevant rfc1918 address space now too. If somebody setup
  a network using a subset of the address space from rfc1918 space
  they'd have to reconfigure appropriately too.

  All anybody really cares about is that these queries aren't
  beating up the root/gtld servers, so adding a check to the
  referral-chasing would solve that problem and wouldn't impose
  additional work on the users.

I don't really want to speak for anyone else here, but it always
appeared to me that the problem Vix keeps mentioning is queries
with 1918 SOURCE ADDRESSES, not 1918-space queries.

This thread, like every nanog thread, has completely lost focus of
the original issue, and devolved into some brain-damaged solution to
an imagined problem.

And if he doesn't find the idea of randomly balkanizing the
in-addr.arpa delegation chain for random bits of space abhorrent, I
sure do.

matto

[email protected]<darwin><
              The only thing necessary for the triumph
              of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke