Re: Spam (un)blocking

  • From: Hank Nussbacher
  • Date: Thu Apr 07 02:32:42 2005

At 06:43 PM 06-04-05 -0400, Daniel Senie wrote:

Since the uptake on IRT has been slow, and after much internal discussion, RIPE has decided to add an "abuse-mailbox" attribute. For further details see:
https://www.ripe.net/ripe/maillists/archives/db-wg/2005/msg00015.html

-Hank

At 06:10 PM 4/6/2005, JP Velders wrote:

> Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 14:54:08 -0400
> From: Adam Jacob Muller <[email protected]>
> Subject: Spam (un)blocking

> [ ... ]
> Second, is there some way to mark my block of addresses is owned by
> responsible responsive system administrators.

Over here in "RIPE land" so to speak, several ISP's (most notably
FIRST members) have put a lot of effort in getting 'IRT' objects in
the RipeDB.

$ whois -h whois.ripe.net -r 194.171.31.0 | egrep '^(inetnum|remarks|mnt-irt):'
inetnum: 194.171.31.0 - 194.171.31.255
remarks: utilized by 802.1x authenticated guests utilizing EduRoam
remarks: see http://www.eduroam.nl/ for more information
remarks: in case of abuse: [email protected] and [email protected]
mnt-irt: irt-SURFnet-CERT
And this is MUCH appreciated. When trying to figure out where to send spam complaints, a network that's taken the time to put their abuse address in their records certainly appears to at least care, and so gets better treatment.

That IRT object (I believe there were efforts underway for a similar
system in the ARINdb, but I haven't followed it for over a year :( )
is an object to identify the "Incident Response Team" which can be
contacted regarding certain blocks of space.

$ whois -h whois.ripe.net -r irt-SURFnet-CERT | egrep '^(irt|signature|encryption|remarks|mnt-by):'
irt: irt-SURFNET-CERT
signature: PGPKEY-A6D57ECE
encryption: PGPKEY-A6D57ECE
remarks: SURFNET-CERT is the Computer Emergency
remarks: Response Team of SURFnet
remarks: This is a TI accredited CSIRT
remarks: (see http://www.ti.terena.nl/teams/level2.html)
mnt-by: TRUSTED-INTRODUCER-MNT

More information can be found in Google, or on the FAQ by Jan Meijer:
http://www.surfnetters.nl/meijer/tf-csirt/irt-object-faq.html

> We have tech support on duty 24/7 and abuse complaints are dealt
> with in a timely manner, so I am wondering if there is a way to
> communicate our willingness to help in the fight against spam.

Replace spam with abuse and you have something like the IRT object. ;D

No doubt someone on NANOG knows what's happening with the ARIN version ;)
(or if there will be one, if people want it, etc.)
SWIPs can hold abuse contact info. Again, this is a good thing for folks to do.

This Mail Was Scanned By Mail-seCure System
at the Tel-Aviv University CC.