Re: Spam (un)blocking

  • From: JP Velders
  • Date: Wed Apr 06 18:12:01 2005

> Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 14:54:08 -0400
> From: Adam Jacob Muller <[email protected]>
> Subject: Spam (un)blocking

> [ ... ]
> Second, is there some way to mark my block of addresses is owned by
> responsible responsive system administrators.

Over here in "RIPE land" so to speak, several ISP's (most notably
FIRST members) have put a lot of effort in getting 'IRT' objects in
the RipeDB.

$ whois -h whois.ripe.net -r 194.171.31.0 | egrep '^(inetnum|remarks|mnt-irt):'
inetnum:      194.171.31.0 - 194.171.31.255
remarks:      utilized by 802.1x authenticated guests utilizing EduRoam
remarks:      see http://www.eduroam.nl/ for more information
remarks:      in case of abuse: [email protected] and [email protected]
mnt-irt:      irt-SURFnet-CERT

That IRT object (I believe there were efforts underway for a similar
system in the ARINdb, but I haven't followed it for over a year :( )
is an object to identify the "Incident Response Team" which can be
contacted regarding certain blocks of space.

$ whois -h whois.ripe.net -r irt-SURFnet-CERT | egrep '^(irt|signature|encryption|remarks|mnt-by):'
irt:          irt-SURFNET-CERT
signature:    PGPKEY-A6D57ECE
encryption:   PGPKEY-A6D57ECE
remarks:      SURFNET-CERT is the Computer Emergency
remarks:      Response Team of SURFnet
remarks:      This is a TI accredited CSIRT
remarks:      (see http://www.ti.terena.nl/teams/level2.html)
mnt-by:       TRUSTED-INTRODUCER-MNT

More information can be found in Google, or on the FAQ by Jan Meijer:
http://www.surfnetters.nl/meijer/tf-csirt/irt-object-faq.html

> We have tech support on duty 24/7 and abuse complaints are dealt
> with in a timely manner, so I am wondering if there is a way to
> communicate our willingness to help in the fight against spam.

Replace spam with abuse and you have something like the IRT object. ;D

No doubt someone on NANOG knows what's happening with the ARIN version ;)
(or if there will be one, if people want it, etc.)

Regards,
JP Velders