Re: Spam (un)blocking

  • From: Larry Smith
  • Date: Wed Apr 06 16:05:25 2005

On Wednesday 06 April 2005 13:54, Adam Jacob Muller wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm a network operator at a small hosting company that has about a /20
> slice of IP addresses. Recently we have suffered a few break-ins (and
> some fraud) which caused a large quantity of spam to find it's way onto
> the internet.
> This has resulted in some of our network space being listed in several
> DNS blacklists, and being blacklisted by individual ISPs.
> So my question is this.
> Firstly, what is the best way to remove myself from each of these
> blacklists, if there is anything aside from going to each one
> individually and saying "i'm not spamming anymore".
> Second, is there some way to mark my block of addresses is owned by
> responsible responsive system administrators.
> We have tech support on duty 24/7 and abuse complaints are dealt with
> in a timely manner, so I am wondering if there is a way to communicate
> our willingness to help in the fight against spam.
>

> Thanks,
> Adam Jacob Muller

Adam,

  As JD already mentioned, many will most probably go away within a few days
if there is not other "spam" from the IP space to keep the entry active.
Quite a few have web space, so if you know the BL that is blocking, you might
look and see if there are "remove" instructions/capability.

Only other thing I can think of would be to register your domain(s) with
abuse.net.  Personally that is one of the first places I check domains
against (if they have a "valid" abuse address) then I report first and block
second or third. (meaning if the spam continues after reporting)...

--
Larry Smith
SysAd ECSIS.NET