Re: Disappointment at DENIC over Poor Rating in .net Procedure

  • From: Florian Weimer
  • Date: Thu Mar 31 15:38:20 2005

* > The Register article:

> "The report that this week decided the ownership of
> the second most important directory on the Internet
> has been called into question with the claim that a
> fundamental element of it is factually incorrect."

Apparently, the main criticism is that DENIC developed the core of its
operations (the main database) on its own, without hiring consultants.
I find this criticism a bit strange as well, but it makes some sense
if you are extremely risk adverse.  The main question is why DENIC
wasn't aware of this criterion before it made its offer (or the
requirement to be a customer of some disaster recovery company).

Anyway, DENIC's offer didn't match that of Sentan or Verisign in many
aspects, so it's a non-issue in the end.