Re: potpourri (Re: Clearwire May Block VoIP Competitors )

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Thu Mar 31 14:20:18 2005
On 31 mars 2005, at 12:18, Paul Vixie wrote:

...all kinds of things that nobody outside the POTS empire actually
cares about.  folks just want to talk.  cell-quality voice is fine.
When we first started playing with voice over IP at CLEAR in New Zealand in the mid-to-late 1990s, we found that there was a wide variety of call quality that was acceptable to users, far down below the "minimum acceptable" voice standard defined by the ITU (and, subjectively, much worse than GSM). We ran packets across all kinds of deliberately-broken networks in order to see how people coped with it.

The important thing, we found, was that the quality had to be consistent in order for people to be able to use it.

It didn't matter so much that the quality was nasty, as long as it was consistently nasty.

Joe