Re: Vonage Hits ISP Resistance

  • From: Steve Sobol
  • Date: Thu Mar 31 13:05:20 2005

Bill Nash <[email protected]> wrote:

> I find this to be entertaining, since as a VOIP consumer, I'm reimbursing
> my ISP for the cost of the traffic as part of my monthly tithe.

Not proportional to the potential cost of providing the service.

I have no idea what my cable company pays for their bandwidth, but I am
certain it's more than the $40 per month I pay for my 3Mbps down/256 Mbps
up... and I am able to actually *get* 3Mbps on many occasions, and I average
between 1 and 2 (on HTTP/FTP transfers, fwiw).

Yes, I know the connectivity cost is shared between several thousand customers
in this area, but what happens if large numbers of customers start using VOiP
on a regular basis?

Steven J. Sobol, Geek In Charge / [email protected] / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

    --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"