BGP routing policies in ISP networks

  • From: Matthew Caesar
  • Date: Thu Mar 31 10:45:44 2005

Hi NANOG,

Jennifer Rexford and I have written an overview of how BGP routing policies are done in ISP networks. The goal was to write a kind of tutorial that students learning about BGP and people new to the field could use to better understand some of the issues involved in setting up a BGP network, peering with neighbors, etc. We aimed to provide a taxonomy of policies commonly used, the goals motivating them, and a high-level overview of how they are implemented at routers, and we tried to discuss some of the complex issues that can arise which make the job of a network operator so challenging.

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~mccaesar/papers/policies.pdf

We'd really appreciate your comments on the work. We'd also enjoy learning about other types of policies that network operators use, or other issues you've run into when implementing policies in your networks.

Thanks,
Matt