Re: DNS cache poisoning attacks -- are they real?

  • From: Sam Hayes Merritt, III
  • Date: Tue Mar 29 13:57:44 2005

When I reported this the bug/feature was changed but I noticed a while
back (late 8.x maybe 9.0) that it is back. So if the purp can get you to
the wrong server only once it may be possible to keep you there.
It was actually fixed in 9.2.3rc1.

1429. [bug] Prevent the cache getting locked to old servers.

See this thread: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=111057230600004&r=1&w=4

Of course I still don't think its a bug, and it forced people to remember to actually finish the job when they moved their DNS around. But whatever, its easier than doing a rndc flushname name (which finally got put in).

sam