Re: T1 vs. T2 [WAS: Apology: [Tier-2 reachability and multihoming]]

  • From: Stephen J. Wilcox
  • Date: Tue Mar 29 12:00:31 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, [email protected] wrote:

> > and if you peer with all networks in the 'transit free zone' then you too become
> > transit free also.
> >

> 	er.. hate to rain on your parade but if I peer with everyone

these are not the words of someone hating to rain on me!

> 	i need/want to exchange traffic with, i am transit-free, even
> 	if I -NEVER- touch any other part of the commercial Internet...

mmm yeah but in the context we have here of ISPs providing connectivity to other
ISPs or enterprises this isnt very realistic so i dont see the point of arguing
the technicality.

> 	my packets get to where they need to go and all packets I want
> 	get to me.  my life is good ... even if I only appear as vestigal
> 	to the commercial Internet, if I appear at all.

sounds more like an enterprise with specific requirements to connect to a
limited part of the internet.. this is not the sort of ISP operation that i am
working in.

> 	how would you classify such a network?  T1, T2, ODDBALL-0,
> 	non-Internet-265, ???

enterprise

Steve