Re: T1 vs. T2 [WAS: Apology: [Tier-2 reachability and multihoming]]

  • From: Richard A Steenbergen
  • Date: Tue Mar 29 01:25:21 2005

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 02:23:06AM +0100, Stephen J. Wilcox wrote:

> 701 is not the most connected, it has only customers and a restrictive
> set of peers?

Ok, I'm just bored enough to bite. If we're talking about a contest to see
who has the most number of directly connected ASNs, I think UU might still
win, even with a restrictive set of peers.

Taking a look at a count of customer ASNs behind some specific networks of
note, I come up with the following (some data a couple weeks out of date,
but the gist is the same):

Network		ASN Count
-------		---------
701             2298
7018            1889
1239            1700
3356            1184
209             1086
174             736
3549            584
3561            566
2914            532
2828            427
6461            301
1299            243

Which begs the question, what is the largest number of ASNs that someone
peers with? Patrick? :) Somehow I suspect that 701's customer base (702
and 703 aren't included in the above count BTW) overpower even the most
aggressively open of peering policies, in this particular random pointless
and arbitrary contest at any rate.