Re: Clearwire May Block VoIP Competitors

  • From: Eric Gauthier
  • Date: Sat Mar 26 13:38:21 2005

> http://www.advancedippipeline.com/news/159905772

"...In what the company claims is an effort to preserve the performance
 of its pre-standard WiMAX network, Clearwire says it reserves the right
 to prohibit the use of a wide range of bandwidth-hungry applications, a
 list that apparently includes VoIP as well as the uploading or
 downloading of streaming video or audio, and high-traffic Web site
 hosting."

Hrm... Isn't a VoIP call realtively low bandwidth?  I haven't studied
this, but Vonage's site seems to imply that the maximum data rate is 90Kbps
(http://www.vonage.com/help_knowledgeBase_article.php?article=190).  I
typically see speeds greater than this from my web browser...  Are they
saying that anything that might consume over 100Kbps isn't going to be
allowed?

Eric :)