Re: "Bandwidth Advisors" - www.bandwidthadvisors.com

  • From: Tim Pozar
  • Date: Thu Mar 24 19:30:44 2005

Hannigan, Martin wrote:
They're brokers. There's really nothing wrong with what they
are doing, although they may not have explained it to you too
well.
I guess not.

What they do is become an agent, or reseller, for a company and
they get a residual on anyone they refer. So if you are a corp IT
guy and you have no clue as to who's out there and what the prices
are, these kinds of services "can" be useful. Almost everyone will
give someone a residual for a referral, but you have to ask. :-)
Brokers are one thing. Consultants or "advisors" are another thing. I don't see anything on their web site that labels them as "brokers". I do see under their FAQ...

Q. How does Bandwidth Advisors get paid?

A. Bandwidth Advisors receives a small residual payment from the
Telcos once the Client begins paying for the service.

Nice to see it there.

I know a bunch of consultants out there (me being one, Bill Woodcock, etc.) that do not take money from vendors they recommend. How can a client of a consultant really know they have the best deal when the "consultant" will not investigate all of the options out there?

For those that don't know... I am now the COO of UnitedLayer. It sounds like, since I am not going to pay the "extortion" fee to Bandwidth Advisors, that their consultants won't know about our pricing and services. Even if I did pay the fee, that means that their clients can't get the best deal as I need to raise my fees to client to cover the "small residual payment" going to "Bandwidth Advisors".

Tim
--
1978 45th Ave / San Francisco CA 94116 / USA // POTS: +1 415 665 3790
GPG Fingerprint: 4821 CFDA 06E7 49F3 BF05 3F02 11E3 390F 8338 5B04