Re: 72/8 friendly reminder

  • From: Jon Lewis
  • Date: Thu Mar 24 11:15:27 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Randy Bush wrote:

> > ARIN is in a unique position to be able to do something to at
> > least try to mitigate the problem without too much effort before
> > handing "damaged IP space" out to members.
>
> damaged?  so you will do your bit to undamage unused ip space by
> not bogon filtering on your network?

I don't do bogon filtering.  I do take a bogon route feed from team cymru,
but that won't stop me from reaching any announced subnets within "bogon
space"[1].  And cymru has been pretty good about keeping up with the
changes wrt what's a bogon and what's not.

What I will do, next time we get space from ARIN (which I suspect isn't
too far off) is setup 72box (or whatever /8 they're allocating from now)
and repeat the exercise I did with 69/8 space so I have some idea where
the idiot networks are (and try contacting them) before we start using or
assigning IP's from that space.

[1] at least not until cisco adds a feature allowing you to ignore new BGP
routes for subnets of a bogon feed.

 Jon Lewis                   |  I route
 Atlantic Net                |