Re: 72/8 friendly reminder

  • From: Daniel Senie
  • Date: Thu Mar 24 10:35:00 2005

At 10:06 AM 3/24/2005, Jon Lewis wrote:

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 [email protected] wrote:
>
> > In any case, it is not important how the message
> > gets communicated to ARIN. What is important is for
> > network operators to *TELL* ARIN what they need ARIN
>
> is arin the problem here? or are 'lazy'/'dumb'/'mistaken'/'poorly
> informed' admins the problem?

Lazy/misguided/ex admins / downsized networks are the problem.  ARIN is in
a unique position to be able to do something to at least try to mitigate
the problem without too much effort before handing "damaged IP space" out
to members.  The current situation frustrates those who don't know what to
do, and encourages them to look elsewhere for the IP space they need.
I think it's important to remember the "lazy/dumb/mistaken/poorly informed" folk alluded to above are NOT the ones receiving IP address space, but people elsewhere in (and all over) the world.

ARIN does not provide any statement of suitability of the address space for any purpose. That's nice for the lawyers, but pretty useless from a customer satisfaction and network operations standpoint.

The idea of ARIN temporarily lighting address space in any new block, and providing a test target is reasonable, relatively inexpensive and sensible.

Paying members of ARIN are today negativelty impacted by receiving assignments that remain in filters. It clearly makes little sense for those receiving address space to each have to expend significant time and effort to turn the address space into usable space. As such, the paying customers & members should consider requesting this be a function that could be best handled centrally by ARIN.