Re: 72/8 friendly reminder

  • From: Michael.Dillon
  • Date: Thu Mar 24 05:32:41 2005

> a bit more coffee made me realize that what might best occur would
> be for the rir, some weeks BEFORE assigning from a new block issued
> by the iana, put up a pingable for that space and announce it on
> the lists so we can all test BEFORE someone uses space from that
> block.

ARIN meeting happens in Orlando in about 1 month
from now. There is at least one open mike session
on the agenda and there is also a new policy workshop
if folks think that this practice needs to be made
into a formal policy.

Also, on the ARIN website at http://www.arin.net/about_us/ab_org_bot.html
you can find contact info for the Board of Trustees.
These are the people who can decide that something
makes perfect sense and instruct staff to just do it
without going through the process of changing policies.

Seems to me that this idea falls into the "just do it"
category, i.e. it's operational best practice.
So if you want this feature, tell ARIN about it!

--Michael Dillon

P.S. there is an upcoming RIPE meeting in Stockholm
at the end of May. As above, tell them that this
is important for them to be doing.