Re: 72/8 friendly reminder

  • From: Henk Uijterwaal
  • Date: Thu Mar 24 03:38:38 2005

At 20:05 23/03/2005, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

In message <[email protected]>, Randy Bush writes:

>>> We were recently assigned a 72.244/16 allocation from ARIN. Friendly
>>> reminder that ARIN started allocating 72/8 since Aug. If you have a
>>> static bogon filters, can you please make sure they are updated. Thank
>> if you are really worried about this, and i can understand your
>> being so, then make it easy for the busy folk here (not those
>> pontificating on law and morals in the rocky mountains) to test.
>> give us an address we can ping.
>
>a bit more coffee made me realize that what might best occur would
>be for the rir, some weeks BEFORE assigning from a new block issued
>by the iana, put up a pingable for that space and announce it on
>the lists so we can all test BEFORE someone uses space from that
>block.

That's a good idea.  Maybe we can take it a step further: let each AS
owner register an IP address with IANA or their RIR, and use this test
box to ping the AS owner.  It should be scalable -- there are only
about 20k ASs, as I recall.  The real expense, other than the single
box per RIR, is developing the software that lets each AS register an
IP address and an email address to contact if the pings fail.
You mean something like: http://www.ris.ripe.net/debogon/debogon.html?

Addresses are for each /8 that the RIPE NCC gets from IANA, they are
announced from the day we get them from IANA until the time we start
allocating from this /8.

Henk

Henk Uijterwaal Email: henk.uijterwaal(at)ripe.net
RIPE Network Coordination Centre http://www.amsterdamned.org/~henk
P.O.Box 10096 Singel 258 Phone: +31.20.5354414
1001 EB Amsterdam 1016 AB Amsterdam Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands The Netherlands Mobile: +31.6.55861746

Look here junior, don't you be so happy.
And for Heaven's sake, don't you be so sad. (Tom Verlaine)