Re: Utah governor signs Net-porn bill

  • From: Barry Shein
  • Date: Thu Mar 24 01:52:15 2005

On March 23, 2005 at 10:44 [email protected] ([email protected]) wrote:
 > Finally, someone who recognizes what this bill is
 > all about. It merely asks ISPs to provide parents
 > with a filtering tool that cannot be overridden by
 > their children because the process of filtering takes
 > place entirely outside the home.

I assume one can opt out of this statutory filtering
voluntarily. What's to stop their children (think teens not infants)
from doing that as easily as they might disable a local filter?

Ok, require ISPs to figure out how to secure against that, password
management or whatever. Oh good, another arms race as kids pass around
how to by-pass the filters at school...I know, use unlimited national
cell rates to dial an out of state ISP. Or find a remote proxy to
use. etc. It's not very hard, and if one kid figures it out the others
just have to follow the formula.

I have a better idea, why doesn't the Utah legislature just outlaw
cancer. Wouldn't that do a lot more people a lot more good? Are those
lawmakers in favor of people, CHILDREN!, suffering and dying of
cancer? Shame on them!

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | [email protected]           | http://www.TheWorld.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*