Re: Utah governor signs Net-porn bill

  • From: Rich Kulawiec
  • Date: Wed Mar 23 11:25:24 2005

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 03:49:44PM -0700, pashdown wrote:
> In the end the bill itself doesn't have a big impact on this ISP's business.
> We have used Dansguardian for many years now along with URLblacklist.com for
> our customers that request filtering.  The fact that its lists and software
> are open for editing and inspection is the reason I chose this over other
> commercial methods.

What is the plan -- if any -- to deal with the hosting of the porn sites
on the computers of the people who they're supposed to be blocked from?

What I'm referring to is the occasional spammer tactic of downloading
web site contents into a hijacked Windows box ("zombie") and then using
either redirectors, or rapidly-updating DNS, or just plain old IP addresses
in URIs to send HTTP traffic there.  This seems to be a tactic of choice
on those occasions when the content is of a dubious nature: kiddie porn,
warez, credit card numbers, identity theft tools, that sort of thing.

Even *detecting* such things is difficult, especially when they're
transient in nature and hosted on boxes with dynamic IP addresses.

So how is any ISP going to be able to block customer X from a web site
that's on customer X's own system?  Or on X's neighbor Y's system?

Oh...and then we get into P2P distribution mechanisms.  How is any
ISP supposed to block content which is everywhere and nowhere?

---Rsk