Re: Utah governor signs Net-porn bill

  • From: Michael.Dillon
  • Date: Wed Mar 23 05:43:20 2005

> that's EASY: there is hyperconcern for the welfare of
> children in Utah,

Finally, someone who recognizes what this bill is
all about. It merely asks ISPs to provide parents
with a filtering tool that cannot be overridden by
their children because the process of filtering takes
place entirely outside the home.

Once Utah ISPs come up with a good way to do this,
I suspect there will be a market for such services
elsewhere in the USA as well. And while the law focuses
on the blocking aspect, i.e. blacklisting, let's not
forget that the same service can also be used in a
whitelisting mode. Can you imagine an Internet service
in which parents subscribe to various "channels" by
choosing from a menu of whitelists? I can.

This is not your father's Internet any more...

--Michael Dillon