Re: Utah governor signs Net-porn bill

  • From: David Barak
  • Date: Tue Mar 22 16:54:33 2005
  • Comment: DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys

--- Rachael Treu <[email protected]> wrote:
> <speculative_musing>
> I'm unclear as to how this level of regulation can
> be applied to the
> rolling fields of porn and not swiftly expanded to
> accommodate other
> categories of information deemed to be
> objectionable.  (I haven't
> yet read the complete bill, but will be interested
> to see how clearly
> codified the parameters for branding content as
> "adult" are.)

Disclaimer: I lived in and around Salt Lake City for
10 years, no I'm not Mormon, and I have always thought
that Utah is the best place in the world to get a flat
tire, becuase everyone will fall all overthemselves to
help you.

That said, I've seen this kind of thing from Utah
politicians before - they were some of the driving
factors behind the "V-Chip" and in mandating that
cablecos offered a service which was "all the channels
except those which regularly show adult content",
which, believe it or not, was not common when they
offered it.

I would be VERY surprised if they also added any
(non-pr0n) other topics to this block-list.  There is
a strong distinction made in UT between pr0n and
everything else: no one ever tried to expand the
concept wrt the cablecos to any of the other
objectionable things they may show.  I remember when
"The Last Temptation of Christ" showed in a movie
theatre there, so they're not so bad as it may at
first seem.

> How, exactly, *did* this pass, anyway?

that's EASY: there is hyperconcern for the welfare of
children in Utah, and they've had some success in
restricting other public displays of adult activities
(believe it or not, there used to be strip clubs
within 4 blocks of the mormon temple there - the city
council rezoned, and they moved 3 miles downroad).

David Barak
Need Geek Rock?  Try The Franchise:
http://www.listentothefranchise.com

NEW ALBUM, "The Sound and the Furry" available at
http://www.cdbaby.com/thefranchise