Re: Utah governor signs Net-porn bill

  • From: Rachael Treu
  • Date: Tue Mar 22 12:28:33 2005

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 09:03:17AM -0800, Roy said something to the effect of:

> CNET's extract is wrong.
>
> The article states
>
> The measure, SB 260, says: "Upon request by a consumer, a service
> provider may not transmit material from a content provider site listed
> on the adult content registry."

Isn't that demanding that an ISP provide, free of
charge, a managed firewall service?

I might be expecting too much, but wouldn't it
stand to reason that link-chasing and downloading
inherently constitute a request *to* receive content?

At the risk of sounding like a proponent for public
indecency <snicker> if Junior or Hubby or Wifey or
whomever is hoarding porn and "must be
protected/stopped/brought back into the fold", I
don't think it's really the responsibility of the
ISP to care.

Note to Utah (tm)*: the pervasion of perversion is
nigh!  ;)  Buy a firewall and keep an eye on your
kids.  Neither the schools nor the ISPs are meant to
raise them.

bah,
--ra

*UT is OK with me.  The disgruntled ramblings in here
refer only to those whining to the ISPs to save them
from their own Internet connection.

--
k. rachael treu, CISSP                            [email protected]
                 ..quis custodiet ipsos custodes?..