Re: sorbs.net

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Tue Mar 15 15:29:28 2005

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 13:42:24 CST, Robert Bonomi said:

> As with any other 'voluntary use' blocklist, it's "clout" is only as good
> as the number of people using it.  If serious questions arose as to the
> 'integrity' of the list, or the list operator, the vast majority of the
> mail-server operators using it would *stop* doing so. And any lack of
> integrity would be a moot issue, since 'practically nobody' would still
> be using it.  It is _textbook_perfect_ "self regulation" at work.

This is, of course, making the rather big assumption that the person who
decided to use said blocklist:

a) was fully cognizant of the list's goals and policies when they chose to use it.
*and*
b) is willing and able to track deviations on an ongoing basis.
*and*
c) whoever replaces them is also able to do so.

If it was in fact "textbook perfect", we'd never hear about stuff breaking when
a block list goes belly up with six month's warning, and people *still* being
surprised when suddenly everything returns 127.0.0.2 and a lot of mail goes kaboing.