Re: Delegating /24's from a /19

  • From: alex
  • Date: Tue Mar 15 15:04:22 2005

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Mike Sawicki wrote:

> Our organization has a /19 assignment from ARIN.  We have given portions
> of this space to several other companies within our corporate umbrella.
> Several of these other companies have their own nameservers, and would
> like to be able to manage DNS on their own for their in-addr.arpa.
> blocks.  What would be the best way to delegate authoritiy for them?
> ARIN is pointing to our 2 nameservers for the entire /19.  Do I need to
> use some sort of RFC2317 method here, or would I be able to just install
> zones for each /24 with NS records pointing to the other companies'
> servers?  Also, what are some good ways to test and verify that this is
> all working?
Either by doing DNS delegation on the zone boundary or by SWIP'ing the
space to the other company.

It is very easy to do DNS delegation, say if you have 128.0.0.0/19, and
you want to delegate 128.0.1.0/24, in your zone file for
0.128.in-addr.arpa zone put

1 IN	NS	ns1.othercompany.com
1 IN	NS	ns2.othercompany.com

-alex