Re: nanog [really inspectors & MOV's]

  • From: David Lesher
  • Date: Mon Mar 14 00:42:33 2005

> > Virtually all surge protectors have MOV - Metal Oxide Varisters -
> > within. These are devices with s sharp knee on their Voltage vs
> > Resistance curve. In other words, they do not conduct for a 120V
> > level, but do at 200, shunting that overvoltage to ground.
>
> Careful: that conduction voltage is peak, is it not?

Some Marketing Dude must have decided that such was too complex
for customers.... So the traditional MOV part # is a f(RMS working
voltage) NOT the peak where it conducts... Grr Gnash Argh!!!

Note the "customer" is a design engineer...

> Smoke emitting diodes?
MOV's are bipolar...

> > But note that the OP does not have a MOV issue; he has an inspector
> > issue. His best answer there may be buying outlet strips that
> > offer no surge protection. He likely will need to first pin
> > the inspector down on what rules he's allegely broken, however.
>
> This is the most cogent point to date, and the one I made off list: ask
> him to quote chapter and verse.

And be sure it's not an Alexander Hamilton type issue..

--
A host is a host from coast to [email protected]