Re: Fire Code/UFC Regs?

  • From: Daniel Senie
  • Date: Sun Mar 13 10:22:36 2005

At 09:08 AM 3/13/2005, Josh Vince wrote:

Here's what APC has to say about it:

http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=jTAq9iAh&p_lva=&p_faqid=1372&p_created=1010390400&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTM4NyZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXN1cmdlIGludG8gVVBTJnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9MyZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMT1_YW55fiZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMj1_YW55fiZwX3BhZ2U9Mg**&p_li=

Sorry about the wrap...

Basically, they say not to plug surge strips into the output of a UPS.
You should use PDU's instead.
Or, more basically: Buy APC's power strips, because we think we engineered them correctly, and think nobody else possibly could design a decent power strip.

Here's a URL showing some of their rack mounted PDU products

http://www.apc.com/products/family/index.cfm?id=30

While I like APC products, I have to wonder whether this "requirement" for using only "PDU" products was written by their lawyers to cover liability concerns when someone uses a low-quality power strip, and/or their marketing folks to push their own power strips.

Josh